Where to Wander in April.
Lacking some inspiration of what to do on your precious weekends? Well stress no more we’ve got you covered. Whether you like day trips out to the countryside or are more of a city slicker, we’ve listed 10 events that are on this April to help you plan a month full of fun adventures. So come on drag yourself away from the couch and join us on exploring what Victoria has to offer!
Enjoy wanderers x
1. First up, the Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show. Now I know some of you will be thinking this is for the older demographic but as someone who has gone to this event every year since I was little, trust me when I say it is really an amazing day!
You don’t need to have a Green thumb to appreciate the incredible gardens that have been designed by some of the best landscape designers from Australia and abroad. Get some inspiration for you own garden or just enjoy the beautiful art, sculptors and stalls. And if gardens really aren’t your thing, there’s plenty of food trucks around the place so just go and have a yum lunch in the lovely Carlton Gardens.
(Cost: Adults - $29.90, Concession - $25.90, Kids – Free Under 14, When – 29th of March – 2nd of April, Where Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens)
2. Continuing on with the food theme, The Melbourne Food and Wine Festival is running from the 31st of March – 9th of April. With over 300 events happening all over Victoria, you’re bound to find something that floats your boat. Check out the website for more details on the events running over the duration of the festival but here I’ve picked a few of my favourites.
3. Saints and Sinner Cycle Tour is for the more adventurous types. A cycling tour that allows you to eat and drink your way along 7km of St Huberts Road in Coldsteam.
(Cost - $128, When - Tuesday 4th - Thursday the 6th of April, Where - Pedals Australia, Coldstream)
4. The Peninsula Picnic is back again with an even better line up of musicians and food. (Cost - $19-$77, When - Saturday 1st of April, Where - Mornington Racecourse)
5. Doggy Winery Tour, if you don’t want to leave your furry friend at home then this is the one for you!
(Cost - $15-$195, When - Saturday 1st - Sunday 9th of April, Where - Yarra Valley, Mornington Peninsula or Dandenong Ranges)
6. Ripcurl Pro Bells Beach is celebrating its 56th year running this year. Whether you can surf or not this weekend is one not to be missed. Why not make the most of it; grab your mates, your boards and take for a road trip down to Torquay and if you have time even continue along The Great Ocean Road.
(Cost – Free, When – April 12th – 24th, Where – Bells Beach, Victoria)
7. Brown Brothers Easter Family Festival is for big and little kids alike. With a showcase of local produce, over 50 wines to try, live music and an Easter scavenger hunt you can’t really go wrong spending your Easter long weekend here.
(Cost – Adults $5 with festival glass for tastings, Kids – Free, When – 15th and 16th of April, Where – Brown Brothers, Milawa, VIC)
8. Yarra Valley Beer and Cider Festival is another great excuse to head out on a day trip to the Yarra Valley. The festival won’t disappoint with a number of local breweries and exhibitors such as Coldstream Brewery, Southern Bay Brew Co and Hargreaves Hill to name a few. There will also be plenty of food and live entertainment so pack a picnic rug and make a day of it!
(Cost – Varies, When – 1st of April, Where – Lilydale Showground)
9. Spring Fling Street Festival; if an inner city street festival is more of you thing then this one is for you. Celebrating Spanish and Latin American culture the festival is full of authentic food and drink, music, dance and interactive workshops to create a truly fun filled day. Fun and free for all ages and located in the heart of Melbourne!
(Cost – Free, When – 8th of April, Where – George Johnson Lane, North Melbourne)
10. Farmers Markets. Everyone loves a good farmers market and luckily for you there are plenty on around Victoria this April. Make day trips to all or visit your local market and hunt and gather the best local produce.
Red Hill Community Market – 1st of April
Bellarine Community Market – 3rd Saturday of every month
Echuca Farmers Market – 1st, 3rd and 5th Saturday of every month
Fairfield Farmers Market – 15th of April